At a certain age, your kids will need to start school. It is important for the kids to enjoy pre school so that they can enjoy their education and consequently perform better. After spending most of their life at home, going to school can be a daunting experience for kids. This is because:
- The child is moving from a place they are familiar with home to a place they are unfamiliar with school.
- The kids will inevitably have to interact with more people than they have probably ever interacted with in their lives.
Even in these circumstances, it is still possible for your child to enjoy school. As parents you need to make sure that from the moment the kids first hear about school all the way to the first day in school, they have a memorable experience. When you first mention the idea of beginning pre school to your kid, follow the steps below to ensure that the kid is fully prepared psychologically for the new environment.
- First, prepare your kids to interact with more people than those they find at home by encouraging them to play with their age-mates. These may be children in the neighborhood with whom your kids might go to school with when the time comes. A good way of achieving this is through organizing play dates with their age-mates where you can introduce a number of educational games as opposed to using the common toddler games. Interacting with different people will make it easier for your child to make new friends in school. Educational games will also play a big role in introducing some of the concepts that the kids will meet in school.
- When you speak about school, be as positive as possible. At this stage, you are your children’s main source of information. Therefore, whatever you say will influence how they feel about things, school included. Make school as interesting as possible by informing your kid about all the fun games for kids that are played in school. Try to identify activities that each kid enjoys and use the Montessori Method to prepare them for school.
- When you start purchasing school items like bags and lunch boxes, go with your child to the store and ask them to choose what they would like to use in school. After purchasing the items, make it clear that the items will only be used for school. This will make them even more excited to go to school so that they can use their new items.