The sun’s rays are important for all of us. However, over exposure to sun’s rays and exposure to sun’s rays during the early ages of a child is not at all good. As a matter of fact, it is quite harmful. So, it is always advised that a child should never be over-exposed to sunlight or if it has to be, then any sunscreen should be used if you want to protect your child from the harmful effects of the ultraviolet rays.
What are the ways to protect your child from sun rays?
- Always wear clothes that properly cover your body parts.
- Always use sunscreen lotions and crèmes before going out into the open.
- Use a hat to protect your face from direct sunlight. The face is one of the most sensitive areas of your body.
- Put on sunglasses whenever you want to go out in the open and for long periods of time.
Basic tips to select the best sunscreen for your child
Let us have a quick glance at the basic tips that must be taken care of while you are going to the market to buy a sunscreen for your child. These are as follows:
- Always try to select that sunscreen that is marked broad spectrum. In other words, a broad spectrum sunscreen not only helps to block the UV-A ray but also the UV B-ray.
- Always try to use a sunscreen that has high SPF, that is, Sun Protection Factor. The sunscreen should have SPF of at least 15; else it is of no use in protecting your skin. The sunscreen with a higher SPF will obviously be the best. There are even sunscreen lotions and crèmes with SPF 50 or 60. Although they may be a bit costlier but try not to think of money and cost when it comes to the health of your child. You should never compromise with your child’s health.
- When it comes to protecting the sensitive areas of your skin, like, cheeks, nose, shoulders etc, try to choose a sunblock that has zinc oxide in it. Sometimes these are also available in various attractive colors that kids love very much.
- When you are at the store buying a sunscreen for your child, you can also see the ratings on the pack of the sunscreen. The one with the most number of ratings is the best.
How should you apply sunscreen?
- You should use optimum amount of sunscreen in case, of the exposed areas of your body. These include the neck, cheeks, entire face, arms, feet, hands etc. You need to rub gently but properly so as to make sure the sunscreen makes a thin but protective covering on your skin.
- Always remember to apply the sunscreen crème or lotion at least 30-35 minutes before going out in the open sun. This is because some time is needed but it to get absorbed into the skin.
- You should reapply the sunscreen after every 2 hours or so. This is because sweat and dust may lead to it becoming a bit ineffective after a prolonged period of time.
What role does a sunscreen play in protecting your child?
Sunscreen lotions and crèmes have a very big role to play in protecting kids as well as adult people from the harmful ultraviolet radiations of the sun. Sunscreen lotions and crèmes not only combine organic materials but also several inorganic materials in them for their manufacture. This property helps the sunscreen to get absorbed deep into the skin. Zinc oxide or titanium oxide is the vital constituent in the sunscreens that help to block as well as protect the skin from harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun. SPF is the sun protection factor that actually determines the efficiency of any sunscreen or sun block. It actually helps us o understand how long we can remain exposed to direct sunlight without being affected by the harmful UV rays of the sun.
Well, it needs to be said at the end that parents should take utmost care of their children and should always resort to sunscreen lotions and crèmes for their children. Compromising with the health of children can be quite disastrous.